I'm Tryon T. Turtle...

I've had a lot of adventures since starting out in May. I got a little tired, so I am just getting around to posting pictures from the conference. I met lots of people there.

Friday, September 30, 2011

Tryon Goes to Middle School


Earlier this week, I visited a young group environmentalist at Archdale-Trinity Middle School.  These students stay after school to recyle, making sure their school environmental friendly for turtles as well as humans and every critter in-between.  I learned a lot about the large amount of plastic bottles and paper that are thrown away each day at a school.  Each week, the ATMS Environmental Club recycles the bottles for points through the Dream Machine Recycle Rally.  The Dream Machine Recycling Rally is supported by Pepsi Company, Waste Management, and Greenopolis to encourage schools to reduce their waste. Schools get to redeem points for rewards.


Of course, we all know that these students wouldn't be doing this without the help of a wonderful, energetic, inspiring teacher. Their teacher is Sarah Fuller-Allman, the EENC membership co-chair. As if volunteering and teaching aren't enough, Sarah owns a farm and raises and shows Brahman cattle. I didn't meet her cattle. I guess that's good because I might have been stepped on. Ouch! Here is a picture of one of her Brahman calves starting to stand after being born. 

These kids are not only helping their school to be “green friendly,” but they are also helping the community by testing their water.  They had some time to take me water quality testing in Archdale at a local stream.  This stream is off the parking lot from the school, so the kids study how the school affects its local environment.  I learned a lot with the kids about the runoff from the parking lot and how it is causing sediment to build up in the stream.  They share their data with local scientists to help improve the water quality.

It was definitely a tiring day, following these energetic environmentalists around, but it is good to see my children’s future will be protected as along as these kids keep studying and lobbying for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment